Tuesday, May 30, 2017
     

 

Statues in the Basilica of St. Fidelis
     
 At the entrance of the church, an angel stands guard.

St. Ann

and her daughter, the Virgin Mary. 

 Guardian Angel

with a young child.

     

 St. Louis IX, King of France

He became king of France at the age of 12.  At age 19, he married his wife who was 12 years old.  He had 10 children.  Louis died the same hour as Jesus did.  Patron of builders, sculptors, button makers, and barbers.

Donated by Joseph Thaner in 1894.

 St. Joseph

He was the foster father of Jesus and husband of Mary.  Joseph is the beloved saint of the German people.  Patron of the Universal Church, of a happy death, and of the Christian family.

Donated by Bernard Maxwell in 1884.

 St. Elizabeth of Hungary.

She married King Louis IV at age 14.  When she went to feed the poor, her husband opened her cape and saw a bed of roses.  Patroness of Catholic charities, bakers and Franciscan third order.

Donated by Andreas Brungardt and Johann Dreiling in 1884.

     

 St. Theresa,
the "Little Flower".

She became a Carmelite nun at age 15.  She suffered from illnesses and said, "After my death, I will let fall a shower of roses."  Patroness of foreign missions, florists, gardeners, and aviators.

 St. Aloysius.

A brilliant scholar of philosophy and theology, he became a Jesuit priest.  He fasted and scourged himself.  While helping those sick with the plague, Aloysius died as a result of it.  Patron of Christian youth.

 Mary Queen of Heaven.

Mary was the daughter of Joachim and Anne.  She was bethrothed to Joseph and became the Mother of God.  There are over sixteen feast days honoring Mary.  Newly-married couples customarily place a rose at this shrine.  This statue was purchased in 1884.

     

 St. Rose of Lima.

Rose lived in Lima, Peru, and joined the third order of St. Dominic.  She wore a crown of roses over her veil.  Underneath the veil was an iron crown from which 99 spikes pierced the flesh of her head.  To avoid vanity, she cut off her hair, blistered her face with pepper, and burned her hands with lime.  Patroness of florists, gardeners, and South America.

 St. Anthony of Padua.

He was a Franciscan priest.  Anthony was devoted to the bible and had a vision of the child Jesus.  Patron of the poor and finder of lost items. 

Donated by Michael, Johannes, and Peter Pfeifer in 1884.

 St. Paul, the Apostle.

Formerly known as Saul, Paul assumed his new name after his conversion to Christianity.  He was beheaded by the one he holds in this statue.  The scroll he holds symbolizes the letters (epistles) he wrote.  Patron of lay apostolates.

     

 Cherubim.

One of the second order of angels positioned at the main altar as in perpetual adoration of the Blessed Sacrament.

 St. Peter, the Apostle.

This apostle was known as Simon until Jesus gave him the name of Peter.  He was the first head of the early Church and was given the "Keys of the Kingdom".  Peter was crucified upside down.  Patron of fishermen. 

 St. Francis of Assisi.

He founded the Franciscans and was the first to create a Christmas crib.  Two years before he died, Francis received the stigmata in his hands, feet and side.  The patron of ecologists, he loved all of God's creatures.

Donated in 1894 by Peter and Michael Rome.

     

 St John, the Evangelist.

John took Jesus's mother into his care after Jesus's death.  He was among the first to the tomb on Easter morning.  His is often pictured with an eagle, symbolizing the heights to which he rises in the first chapter of his Gospel.

 Sacred Heart.

The feast day of the Sacred Heart is the Friday after the second Sunday after Pentecost.  Jesus showed His Sacred Heart to St. Margaret Mary.  This statue was a gift donated in 1884 by John Peter Braun, Franz Weber, and Johann Billinger.  Each contributed $25.00.

 St. Agnes.

Agnes died at the age of 13.  She was pure and lovely, displaying the gentleness and innocence of a lamb, and appeared in this manner to her parents after her death.  Patroness of young girls.

     

 Jesus Christ and John the Baptist.

This statue is found on top of the baptismal font.  It depicts John the Baptist baptizing his cousin Jesus.  John was the son of Elizabeth and Zacharias.  He was executed by Herod Antipas.

 Pieta.

Taken from the Latin "pietas" meaning "piety", the Pieta is an artistic painting or sculpture of the Blessed Mother holding and mourning over the dead body of her son Jesus.  The original famous marble sculpture carved by Michelangelo is found in St. Peter's Basilica in Rome.  This statue portrays each bone and vein in Jesus's body.  After Michelangelo completed his work, it had an unusual effect on him.  This is the only one of his statues that he marked with his name.  This statue, also called "The Sorrowful Mother", was purchased for the first church of the parish which was named for the statue in 1884.  It was donated by Michael Dreiling, Herman Schippers, Herman Berens, Heinrich Weber, Anton Dreiling, and others.

 Martyrdom of St. Fidelis.

The church was named in honor of Fidelis of Sigmaringen, a German-born Capuchin priest martyred in Switzerland in 1622.  Encased high in the center of the elaborate and intricately carved wooden reredos or "high altar" is an oil painting depicting the martyrdom of St. Fidelis.  The painting was created in Innsbruck, Austria, and purchased in 1892 at a cost of $109.00.

     

 Madonna and Child.

This statue was a gift from the visitors of Victoria's Sister City, Kubelstein, Germany.  It was given in appreciation for the hospitality shown them during their visit to Victoria in June, 1990.

 Capuchin priest.

The Capuchins have been serving the parish since their arrival in 1878.  The statue was carved by local area artist Pete Felten, Jr.

 Volga German family.

Carved by Pete Felten, Jr., the statue is dedicated to the original hard-working settlers of Herzog, later renamed Victoria.

     

 Saint Francis of Assisi.

 The Holy Family.

Donated by Don and Rita Gross family.

 St. Fidelis of Sigmaringen.

This statue stands in the niche above the rose window.  The church was named in honor of the martyred saint.