Laying of the Cornerstone Celebration
Sunday, October 4, 2009 This celebration was in observance of the 100th anniversary of the laying of the cornerstone in the current church on October 4, 1909.
The ceremony began with a Mass at 10:00 a.m. in "The Cathedral of the Plains" followed by the blessing of the cornerstone on the northwest corner of the church. The St. Fidelis Cathedral Choir provided the music. A free will offering soup and sandwich luncheon was served in the Victoria Grade School Cafeteria to approximately 300 people. The “Sisters of Hope," a group of ladies impersonating nuns in full attire from Hope and Abilene, Kansas, entertained the crowd with songs, comedy, and light dance routines.